Below are some Frequently Asked Questions that we have received from Salon Professionals like you. See if these help you with any questions that you might have. If not, contact us and we’ll be happy to help!
1. What alkalizer is used in chromastics?
Permanent shades contain ammonia
Demi-permanent shades contain AMP
2. What is the percentage of ammonia in the permanent shades?
When chromastics permanent shades are mixed and applied to the hair, there is less than 1% ammonia in the mixture.
The exception is XL-C, which when mixed contains less than 2%,
3. How much will chromastics colors lighten the hair?
When mixed with 20 volume developer, levels 8 and 10 will lighten up to
3 levels depending upon the texture and depth of the hair.
When mixed with 20 volume developer levels 4 and 6 will lighten up to 2 levels depending upon the texture and depth of the hair.
When mixed with 20 volume developer, XL-C will lighten up to 3 levels depending upon the texture and depth of the hair. 40 volume will increase the lightening to approximately 5 levels.
Demi-permanent colors are used for deposit only and are mixed with 10 volume developer.
4. Is Neutral always necessary for gray coverage?
No. Either Neutral or Gold can be used by itself for gray coverage.
5. Can the pure tones be used for gray coverage?
When working with salt and pepper hair, you should always intermix the pure tones with either Neutral or Gold.
6. How much Neutral or Gold do I mix with the pure tones for Gray coverage?
Add up to one and one-half ounces of Gold or Neutral for Gray coverage.
For high percentages of white, use only 1/2 ounce of pure tone.
7. Can the pure tones be intermixed?
Yes. All of the pure tones are intermixable.
8. How do I create red tone?
Mix 2 or 3 parts of RO with 1 part of RV.
9. When can the pure tones be used without Gold or Neutral?
Pure tones can be used by themselves on pigmented hair only.
Pure tones should not be used by themselves on gray hair.
10. Can XL-C be added to a formula?
Yes. Adding one-half ounce of XL-C to a formula will increase the lighting by up to 1level.
11. How do I create high-lift blondes?
Mix 2 ounces of XL-C + 1/4 ounce of any level 6 color + 2 ounces of 20 or 30 or 40 volume developer.
12. How to I create beige and ash tones for white hair?
Beige tones are created by mixing 6BV with Gold.
Ash tones are created by mixing 4BV with Gold.
13. When should I use 25 volume developer?
Use 25 volume developer when you have coarse, resistant, gray hair.
14. How do I make 30 volume developer?
Mix 1 ounce of 20 volume developer and 1 ounce of 40 volume developer to make 2 ounces of 30 volume developer.
15. How long do I process Chromastics colors?
Generally chromastics colors are processed for 30 minutes, however they remain active for 45 minutes.
XL-C remains active for up to 1 hour.
16. How do I mix XL-P?
Mix one scoop of XL-P with 1 ounce of any developer up to 40 volume.
17. Can XL-P be applied to the scalp?
No. Do not apply XL-P to the scalp.
18. How do I create “On the scalp lightener”?
For mild lightening, Mix 2 ounces of XL-C + 1 scoop of XL-P + 3 ounces of 20 volume developer.
For strong lightening, Mix 1 ounce of XL-C + 1 scoop of XL-P + 2 ounces of 20 volume developer.
19. Can I process chromastics under heat?
Heat is not recommended for regular processing.
Foils can be processed under a warm, not hot, dryer.
20. What is NC?
NC is Neutral Concentrate.
Add 1/4 to 1/2 ounce to any formula to create more opaque coverage.
21. Why are there only 2 level 10 shades in the Demi-permanent colors?
10N and 10G are designed to be used by themselves for deposit only or can be intermixed with any other Demi-permanent to create multiple tones and levels.
22. How do I create different levels with the Demi-permanent shades?
To create level 5, Mix one-half ounce of clear to one and one-half ounce of any level 4 color.
To create level 7, Mix 1 ounce of clear with 1 ounce of any level 4 color.
23. Can the Demi-permanent Clear be used by itself?
Yes. Clear can be used by itself for shine or used to lighten the level of any other shade.
24. Can I intermix the Permanent and Demi-permanent colors?
Yes. You create a low-lift, high-intensity color.
25. Does chromastics contain conditioners?
Yes. Within chromastics special Lowenols complex there are both wheat and soy conditioners.
26. When do I use Green Concentrate?
Green Concentrate is added only to the Neutral series. It is designed to create very cool Neutrals with almost no reflection of warmth.
This results in a more opaque color.
Only 1/4 to 1/2 ounce should be added to a 2 ounce formula of Neutral.
Green Concentrate can be added to both permanent and demi-permanent color.